Sunday, May 16, 2010

i can write a paper in japanese!!



Granted, it’s at like, a second grade level.  But it’s definitely a start.  Trying to express college level ideas when you have a second grader’s writing skill is extremely difficult.  But I think we’re getting better.  I think I’m beginning to think more in Japanese.  Some of my classmates write the paper in English and then translate it into Japanese, but I don’t’ feel like I can do that.  I have to write it straight in Japanese from the very beginning.  I hope I’m getting better at this language.  In two weeks our program in Japan hits the half-way mark, and it doesn’t seem like we’ve been here for a month and a half or however long it’s been.  Why is it that the Japan portion of the program goes by so quickly when the Hawaii portion seemed to drag on and on?  I’m so puzzled.

On the 28 we’re going on a field trip!  We’ll be going to Kobe, Hiroshima, and Kyoto.  It’s going to be very exciting, and our sensei said we’re going to be staying at very nice places, and we have to thank Papa Freeman for giving us so much money.  I fully agree o.o  But I emailed Sayori and she said we’ll probably be able to meet each other in Kobe because she doesn’t have classes on Fridays.  Happiness!!!!  I haven’t seen her in such a long time, and I’m sure her English has gotten really good, and now that I can speak at least a little Japanese, we should be able to talk to each other :)

This week went by really slowly, but it seems like it went by kind of fast.  That’s really strange to say.  We had a lot of fun at fight club on Tuesday.  Ele and I went, and we were practicing how to defend against a katana attack, and we were working with Takashi Captain the whole time.  In the middle of practice he said we were going to take a break and we started practicing Aiki, which is this method where you use as little energy as possible.  It’s really all about taking the energy that your enemy is using to attack you and redirecting it to use against them.  It’s sooo much fun, and Ele and I ended up just scrapping, and whenever we would get into a certain position Takashi Captain would come in and show us a move we could do to get out of it.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen him smile and laugh so much.  It was really fun :)  But, Tuesday is the only day we went ^^;  I feel really bad about that.  Oh!  Thanks to fight club, I can touch my toes now!!  It’s very exciting.  I like it a lot, and I hope I can find a branch of it in Hawaii, because I’d love to continue it.  If only I could remember the moves correctly…

On Wednesday we had a ninja party for Ele!  It was really fun, but we got all wet and cold going to pick up chicken and her cake.  We did end up having a lot of fun though.  Then after the party Tyler wanted to play ninja, so we turned off the lights on the second and third floors and were hiding from him, but the sensei saw and thought it was the crazy old lady again.  So… we don’t get to play ninja anymore.  But we HAVE discovered that for seemingly no reason at all, Japanese people pop fireworks in the summer, just because.  Not anything big like we have at home.  Mostly just sparklers, I think.  But we’re doing fireworks next weekend with our Japanese friends :)

Also, we found a little arcade down the street a while ago, and I keep winning the racing games, which is a little unsettling, because I’m playing against people who actually have a license…

We went to talk to an English class too.  They were so nervous.  I swear, there’s like thirty people in that class, and three of them are girls.  That pretty much explains the whole demographic of the school, actually.  On Monday we’re going to sing karaoke with them, but only English songs, because their teacher said so.

Everyone is trying to get all their homework done tonight because we want to go to the ninja castle temple tomorrow :)

Jaa <3

No comments:

Post a Comment